Phrasal Verbs (Two-word Verbs)
Many verbs in English consist of a verb followed by a preposition or an adverb (also known as particles).
A two-word verb (also known as a phrasal verb) often expresses an idiomatic meaning that cannot be understood literally.
Inseparable phrasal verbs
Verbs and particles may not be separated by any other words
|catch on||go out||look into||speak up|
|get along||grow up||run into||stay away|
|give in||keep on||run out of||take care of|
Incorrect: Children grow quickly up
Correct: Children grow up quickly
Separable phrasal verbs
|call off||give back||look up||put back||try on|
|call up||hand in||pick up||put off||try out|
|fill out||help out||point out||take out||turn down|
|give away||look over||put away||take over|
Most two-word verbs that take direct objects may be separated by the object
Parents help out their children.
Parents help their children out.
If the direct object is a pronoun, the pronoun must separate the verb from the particle.
Incorrect: Parents help out them.
Correct: Parents help them out.
2. Some companies devise training programs to break____hostility between workers.
3. The workers can not put______the demands being placed upon them.
4. Before Phoenix left this morning for Tucson, he threw ______his Sun Devils sun hat.
5. While I was walking down the street, I ran______an old friend.
6. After I ran____of gas, I ran_____a tree and ran____a big bill at the mechanic's shop.
7. Sometimes Jane really annoys me; she really puts_______ when she puts_______and then won't put_____.
8. Where I come_____, you won't come_____a lot of money until you come_____of your shell and come_____a rich heiress.
9. Finally, he broke ____ his three-month stint with Juanita, then after his break____, he broke_____the party hats and champagne to celebrate the possibility of breaking___a new girl friend.
10. Joanie and Joshua couldn't get____anymore, so Joshua got___of town and got____with Lulu, but Joanie wouldn't let Joshua get______with that. She called him up and asked him,"Where do you get_____just leaving me here with our three kids?" Joshua told her to get____their ill-fated marriage becuase there was no way he was going to get____every morning to go to work at the aquarium in order to support her. Joanie said,"Fine! Donšt worry about me. I'll get____."